Sunday, March 16, 2014

More Tappen Beach Birding, and some Marine Mammals

I visited Tappen Beach again today. Then again, I could say that a lot of the time.

Either way, it was good. The first thing I found was a pair of Hooded Mergansers floating in Scudders Pond, across the street from Tappen Beach. Behind them, there were four Wood Ducks, and some Canada Geese were hanging around, one of them wearing an orange neck collar reading the code Y9R5. A Double-crested Cormorant was flying around.


Wood Duck


After that, over to Tappen itself, and there was a bird that was a Red-necked Grebe, my best bird of the weekend by far. For those who don't know, the Red-necked is the largest of our grebes in North America, with a distinctive white chinstrap in non-breeding plumage and a general demeanor and appearance that is quite loon-like. I continued to see him throughout the day. 

Some Red-breasted Mergansers flew in and floated around over by a big red-and-yellow boat called the "Deborah Quinn." Two Common Goldeneyes flew across the harbor, and a Hooded Merganser female flushed and landed in the middle of the wide, wide water, where she was joined by a male Bufflehead. Maybe soon we'll have some Buffleheaded Mergansers…?

My dad said, "Right where that that Bufflehead took off, there's a bird's butt sticking out of the water." I looked, but saw a grey lump that wasn't a bird's butt. Curious, I focused my scope. The grey lump had a black nose, two bright black eyes, grey fur and flippers. It was a SEAL! I have never seen a seal before, though I have been to various beaches many times.

Bufflehead

Further down, there was the Grebe again, and some Bufflehead, and numerous Gadwall, American Black Duck, and American Wigeon. 
American Wigeon



More Wigeons!

And finally, I returned to the car. There, six Brant floated around and braved the waves. 
Brant

I will Brave the Waves!

And then, home. But home happily, for it was a great day of birding.




No comments :

Post a Comment