Sunday, December 28, 2014

A Look Back (on 2014) and Forward (to 2015)

As I write, there are three days left in 2014. With the year drawing to a close, I feel the need to sum up 2014's birding and give a preview of 2015.

This has been, without a doubt, my most serious year of birding yet. I have gone birding too many times to count, participated in several large birding-related festivals/conferences, and gotten seriously into this blog, writing a total of twenty-two posts since January 1, 2014.

I have, as I intended, done lots of eBirding, with exactly 45 checklists as of the writing of this post. I am planning on keeping it up into next year, on a quest to get to the top five Nassau County eBirders.

Right now, my year list for 2014 stands at 114. However, I have three days, and would like to add a few more before the end of the year.

In 2015, I am attempting a very leisurely, relaxed Big Year. Most big years are limited to county, state, Lower 48 or North America, but I am going to try a Big Year in Suffolk, Nassau, Queens, Kings, Richmond, New York and Bronx counties. I will probably not cover some of these counties, but I include them because I would hate to see a bird by accident in one of aforementioned counties and not be able to count it on my Big Year total.

The areas I'll be covering in my 2015 Big Year

I know of one NYC Big Year that reached 307 species, and I know that one New York Big Year reached 361 species. I don't have such huge ambitions for mine; my goal is 200 species.

2014 was a fantastic birding year, so let's hope for an even better year approaching. Here's to good birding in 2015!

Good birding in 2015! 


No comments :

Post a Comment