Saturday, February 13, 2016

A Birdy Site Update!

Greetings kind Birdy Site readers!

I know I haven't written here in a while. I'm sorry, I know you've all just been sitting around waiting for me to put up some new material. Unfortunately, I haven't had a whole lot of time for birding lately, but I'll bring you up to date on what I have done since January 1, 2016.

On my birthday (January 7), I got out to Flushing Meadows Corona Park--the site of the Queens World's Fair--to track down some rarities. I managed to turn up the pre-reported Cackling Geese but missed the two rare sparrows (Clay-colored and Lark) that had been sighted in previous days. I also found a lone Snow Goose among a flock of approximately 800 Canada Geese.
Hey, look at this!

Cackling Geese
Remember that big storm the Northeast got in January? I took advantage of the time off to set up a makeshift bird blind in my yard and shoot the birds at my feeders. It took quite a while to perfect the design, but the result was worth it:
I literally took this from behind a PVC frame wrapped in garbage bags.
I also finally got halfway decent shots of Wood Ducks! Hooray! The birds were at my local patch/birding spot I know very well/birding spot I aggressively defend, Clark Gardens. 
Hooray!
Well, thanks for checking in. If you haven't already, please do submit some data to this weekend's Great Backyard Bird Count. See you in the field!

No comments :

Post a Comment