Thursday, February 26, 2015

Examining a Pigeon

Today, I found a pigeon in my yard.

Why am I saying this? Because there was something very special about this pigeon. It was missing a very curious appendage, one that almost every single other pigeon in the world has.

In other words, this pigeon ain't got no head.

Yes, the pigeon wasn't born that way. The pigeon was decapitated by a hawk, who then kindly left it's remains strewn a few feet away from a massive pile of blood and feathers for me to find. I suspect that the bird caught the pigeon, plucked it, and then was flushed by one of my parents taking the dog out. It is probable that the bird first headed one way and then collided with the ball net that my evil neighbors have put up on the fence, causing it to drop the pigeon. It then most likely turned around and high-tailed it out of there.

Either way, I found the headless pigeon in the afternoon and pulled out the camera to do a photographic study of it. Enjoy.

WARNING: IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO GRAPHIC IMAGES, YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK AWAY!

Scene of the crime
The Feathers

A different view of the feathers

The body

The organs

I turn the body over for a different shooting angle

Note how the hawk removed the wing coverts. Oh, and the head.

Is this the bird's esophagus and is that a sunflower seed in it?

That pigeon ain't alive no more.

No comments :

Post a Comment