Saturday, February 28, 2015

Jones Beach: how to miss the birds you came for

Today, I went to Jones Beach and missed my nemesis birds again.

In fairness, I also saw some other nice birds. Once again forgetting fairness, I really need to see my nemesis birds and Jones Beach is where they are. But on to what I did see.

Arriving at the Coast Guard Station, I instantly found a flock of Bufflehead hanging out among the pilings and some Brant on the grass. Some little birds in the brush caused a stir when I imagined they could be Horned Larks, my #1 Nemesis, but they proved to be Song Sparrows. However, a close scan revealed a Yellow-rumped Warbler, a new addition to my year list.

The Coast Guard Station
Out in the bay, I counted twenty Buffleheads, in addition to three Red-breasted Mergansers, two Horned Grebes and an American Wigeon. Further out, I found a Common Loon and then promptly lost it as it dove; while trying to re-find it (which I eventually did), I instead found some Long-tailed Ducks. There was a Killdeer in the grass next to the bathrooms with some Ring-billed and Herring Gulls.

I moved on, driving down the loop to the West End II parking lot. There was nothing in the actual parking lot or surrounding territory. But on the side of the road there were some American Tree and Song Sparrows, as well as a very close-up Northern Flicker which unfortunately flushed before I could take advantage of the great photo opportunity.

American Tree (bottom and top right)  and Song (top) Sparrows.

The final stop of the day was parking field 10, a known hotspot for seals. Unfortunately, my parents drove literally to the next county looking for it, due to the lack of a sign indicating the presence of a parking field. By the time we turned around and got there, it was getting late, but there were a few Red-breasted Mergansers hanging around, in addition to more Brant, Bufflehead and some Lesser Scaup. All three gull species common here in the winter were present: Ring-billed, Herring and Great Black-backed.

The last treat of the day was not, in fact, a bird. It was watching the wonderful sunset, an experience everyone should have at one point in their life or another. Often, after a day birding, watching the sunset is a great way to either end a fantastic day or let go of what you missed and relax. And so it was.

Now that I've not gotten hung up on what I didn't see and appreciated the birds I did, I will go get my nemesis birds! Just not today.



Lesser Scaup

Great Black-backed Gull in the Sunset

             
To see the other video from the day, go here.
        


The sunset

No comments :

Post a Comment